Thursday, January 9, 2014

Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3 


Well, it's time for me to eat some crow. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_crow

I’m sure if I looked back at some of my posts from 2005 I would find a slew of things saying why the Disco 3 is not going to be a good off road choice. Unfortunately for me but fortunately for the Land Rover community I may need to retract some of those old post. Watching what people like Nathan Woods, Adam Spiker and Gerald King have accomplished with their trucks has not only proven me wrong but made me want one of my own. Please except this as my apology and lets get started with the project!


Without further ado here is the L8 Disco 3 in all its stock form glory 





Some of you keen eyed observers may recognize the finger in the uper corner. That finger belongs to none other than Bart from RMR or as most people know them Red Mountain Rovers. 





Tim and Bart knew I was batting around the Idea of getting into a Disco 3 and when they saw this on the clock they knew were its new home should be. 



I only had one question for them. Does it have 




The answer was A resounding yes and the Disco was immediately shipped off to Lucky8 


Like most Lucky8 Project truck’s the goal is to build a truck that can be a daily driver and still stand up to the abuse of the Easter Expedition. In order to do this with a Disco 3 we will need to push hard on our vendors for new products and work in house on innovative ways to tap the hidden potential Land Rover left for us to find.
 A side from the standard bolt on goodies here is a quick list of things I would like to accomplish. 

1 expanding the selection of rims available.

2 A different suspension set up that does not overstress the air bags when lifted.

3 A dual battery system that has a built-in solar power charger. These trucks are so dependent on electricity we need every possible backup system to make sure they're ready for the challenge ahead.

4 This may be a pipe dream but  aluminum bumpers, rock sliders and air Compressor guard. 

5 Finding out the things this truck needs that I don’t even know about. 


Start at the start.
Tires are the foundation of any build, and that is were we will begin. 

When I’m asked for recommendations about building a truck the first thing I ask back is "What size tires do you want to run"? The answer to that for this project was "stuff a 33 under it". Unfortunately it's not that easy on a Disco 3. Our Disco like most HSE’s came with 19in wheels. To say the 19in tire selection is dismal is an overstatement and now we find ourselves at issue number one on my list. Rim selection. What most people do is go out and find a used set of 18 inch rims. That's not a bad option but I think Lucky8 can do better. Remember when I said we needed to be innovative?  Well I don't want to let you down so have a look at this video.



No comments:

Post a Comment